Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else hear an awful crunching noise like a blender with mashed cogs inside when coming to an abrupt stop or hitting a pothole during breaking?

My wipers also dont move smoothly and wag like a mad old mans finger. Drivers side mostly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Leggera said:
Does anyone else hear an awful crunching noise like a blender with mashed cogs inside when coming to an abrupt stop
Cannot say that I have experienced that.
Leggera said:
or hitting a pothole during breaking
I try not to hit potholes when breaking
Leggera said:
My wipers also dont move smoothly and wag like a mad old mans finger. Drivers side mostly.
I have this issue, but mainly when the screen is only slightly wet - no problem in heavy rain!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not had wiper issue, but the braking issue is probably just the abs applying (and releasing) the brakes rapidly. I have found in this car and the Prius I had before, that if you are braking and you find a spot that is not so grippy ( eg pothole or manhole cover) then the yellow abs light flashes on and the abs leaps into life

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can relate to the wiper issue. The bottom end of the driverside wiper goes jumpy when there is little water on the windscreen.

ABS makes noise... If it happens often, then you are passing the limits of the cars friction between the road. Aka, you are driving to fast for the road conditions.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have had the ABS come on a few times with wet roads.
Just sounded like it was controlling the wheels to me. If you want a horrible sound then you should hear it in the Citroen DS4.
Sounded like the Earth was shattering!

As for the wipers I think they are pretty brutal. What I mean by that is as the others have said, they need more than just a bit of water to work seamlessly. They are so "grippy" that without enough lubricant they drag a lot. That's one reason to treat your windscreen so that most of the water runs off without the wipers. Since treating mine with just some Fast Glass they have been much much better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So thats another auto thing ive paid for that il have to deactivate lol. If its on auto it deems theres enough wet stuff to need wiping when there isnt. I even put it on the slowest intermittent setting and did it. Resorted finally to the manual up push single wipe.

Im allergic to windscreen treatments so no go there. I might try and clean the blade or apply shampoo ha ha.

The abs sounds like i tried to stop on an inch of 13mm nuts. It does it while braking on uneven surfaces. Even at 10mph. This often disables regen and the car lurches forward but im just going to try and ignore this aspect and try and enjoy the car.

I can confirm it handles bends as good as any car ive had (celica integra civic). Love the driving dynamics and fuel economy. I find it narrow and easy to judge in town. Il keep an eye on here for wiper remedies if anyone finds one

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just spent 3 days in Austria and had no problems with the wipers or anything else, in fact I was impressed with the Auto setting, worked just perfect.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For most of us (barring Leggera) a decent windscreen treatment like GTechniq will put an end to the wiper judder issue, quite simply I've not had to use my wipers since treating :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
MarkyMUK said:
For most of us (barring Leggera) a decent windscreen treatment like GTechniq will put an end to the wiper judder issue, quite simply I've not had to use my wipers since treating :)
Just ordered some :cool:

·
Registered
544 Posts
The guy who applied the AirGlide to my car also put it on the glass and I've had no judder since.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well I applied my G1 to my windscreen but the judder apparently will take a few weeks to dissipate.
I might apply a coat of Paste wax to help a bit more. The water amazingly though no longer sticks at all to the glass and just beads like my metal work :) Awesome stuff!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havnt been out on a rainy day yet but after my new screen replacement the juddering seems much less when using the sprayers. Fingers crossed.

My new screen is clearer too. How odd.

One more bad thing is after the screen replacement the wipers now leave a line of uncleared water right in my field of view. I give up ha ha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts