Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently have a MS 1.8 Hybrid CH-R as my company car which I love....I've been lucky enough to have all manner of Toyotas/Lexus from Aygo, Yaris, RAV4, Avensis, Auris, GT86, CT, IS, RX etc (yes I do work for the group!)

I am about to start a new job overseas and have been offered a CH-R again as a long term car, result !

I can have either the 1.2T or the 1.8 Hybrid, provided it's the CVT box.

I've never driven the 1.2T version so was after some advise from people who've experienced both ? MPG is not really an issue as I don't do many miles.

Is there much difference ? Pros/Cons ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, we originally drove the turbo, because that was our favoured background (various Imprezas), and I wasn't interested in a hybrid car. We loved the looks, so buying one was a given.

The salesman (old school friend) suggested we try hybrid, so one day, he booked a turbo and a hybrid out to us for the day, to "enjoy". So we did town driving, fast A roads, and twisty B roads in one car, and then the same route in the other car. Having a GT86, I was particularly interested in the handling and steering feel, which are key factors in the 86, as you will know.

Well, we were both surprised how much we enjoyed the hybrid in town and the relaxed drive it offered, although the manual gearbox is a fine thing (won't affect you). We were impressed by the performance in both, with the extra weight of the hybrid not seeming to make a noticeable difference. Yes the hybrid seemed noisier, but then most of our vehicle choices have had noisy engines or exhausts. So no matter. Steering feel was excellent in both.

What we both found was that, on a twisty bumpy B road at speed, the hybrid seemed less "jumpy", and that was the clincher for us. We put this down to the extra low down weight of the batteries. Both cars' tyres were scrubbed in, and we traversed our course at the same speed in both cars, analysing our favourite corners in particular.

To my amazement, the hybrid got the vote. If I, in particular, had been less interested in the handling, maybe the choice would have been more difficult for me! Julia was sold more on the relaxed drive in town, so she was happy with hybrid from that point of view.

Hope this helps a bit. You may not have twisty roads where you are going.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I totally agree with Subota Boy on the handling. I didn't have any choice but to have the hybrid but I'm pretty sure I would have chosen it based on driving both on test drives. Just far more sure-footed. It is amazing how much fun it is round twisty roads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hybrid better in terms of tax implications I would imagine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the detailed responses people, much appreciated.

The 1.2T is 4WD where the hybrid is FWD so I wondered if it felt any different in the drive round twisties or the wet ?

I'm very happy with the Hybrid one I have now and am very used to the toyota hybrid drivetrain.

Not effected by emissions as they're company lease cars, work pays for it all so it's really just down to a personal driving preference....was leaning towards the 1.2T just as it's something now but it's s tough choice really so I thought I'd ask for others opinions/experiences.

We're moving to Japan :shock: :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
I made a test drive in a 1.2T (CVT) and a Hybrid. I noticed that there was not much difference between both.
I think (maybe that is between my ears) that the 1.2 T was more eager (Maximum torque 185/1500-4000 [email protected])
Higher max speed if that is important.
Personal I choose for the Hybrid but that was only because the delivery was on 19 January and for the
1.2T (CVT) I had to wait till the end of April.
AWD is useful with snow if you also use winter tyres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts