Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI, I chose to fill up with Shell V-Power and all I can say is wow.

I always ran V Power in my last car, but never really thought about it in the C-HR, and while I suspect the demographic for the fuel isn't a tiny 1,200 cc engine, but it does have a turbo!

Anyway, now I've put about a quarter tank through the engine, the ECU is taking advantage of the higher octane. It picks up quicker, is generally more responsive and fun to drive. Oh and better MPG.

I'll be sticking with V Power in future.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I get my hybrid on Thurs. Had saab 9.3 till it went this afternoon. I only use she'll v power. Only use in my gsxr 1100 And will still only use it in the hybrid. Best fuel out. My opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
And where I live there isn't a Shell station within a 20-mile radius. My local filling stations are a choice of Tesco or Co-op fuel. I am guessing they are not so awesome...... :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure about supermarket fuel some say it's ng and some swear by it. Cheap.lol.
But I went into a Mr tyre to have a puncture done on my saab. They had a advertising board about a engine cleaner. I asked about it and they asked which fuel do I put in. When I said only use she'll they said not to bother with the cleaner and also said if I was using supermarket fuel they would advise me to have the engine cleaner. So it's up to the individual what they want to put in. As I understand it, supermarket fuel don't have the additives in that keep the engine clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The irony is that, with just one Esso station near the town, the two supermarket fuels are AS expensive as premium brand fuels because they are the main and most accessible stations. The nearest Shell is at a service station and has eye-watering prices to bleed its captive audience dry. How regularly is engine cleaner to be used? Maybe I should get some to clean out Tesco/Co-op out of my car pipes!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Shell v power is about 10p a ltr more than normal unleaded. Prob about £5 more to fill a tank on chr.
I only use shell unless get caught out and no she'll garages around. Then just put enough in to get me to the next shell station.
I'd Google how often should you use a petrol additive. Suppose be something like redex. Prob tell u on the bottle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The V-Power drives nice.. its fuel with a little bite. Defenitly when im in Germany and can get V-Power Racing 102.
But with the hybrid i like the BP Ultimate 98 more because engine runs more smooth and silent.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The explanation for better performance with Shell v-power in turbo cars has to do with the knock sensor. It does a better job than other fuel brands (specially the 99 Ron version which is called V-power racing in Greece) in preventing engine knock which results in running higher ignition timing and better air/fuel ratio than an engine that does knock (even in a stock car if there is knock because of a poor intercooler on a hot day for example). I used to run this stuff in a tuned Evo and Impreza STI that I used to own and i know this from experience. I even used this fuel in my hybrid C-hr when it was new just to break it in nicely :lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's only the additive pack that differs supermarket fuel from Shell wallet-cleanser as it all leaves the refinery the same.

So I only use supermarket fuel, yesterday filled up 34l at £1.14, which cost me £8.81 after taking off £30 of nectar points, so £8.81 takes me 450 miles which equates to my car doing 260mpg :)

I always use Miller petrol ecomax which addresses the difference between the two, at £12 for 13 tankfuls that's less than £1 per tank for the treatment.

The stuff must work as have managed 1000 miles on a single tank in my Audi A6 quattro 3l using their diesel treatment, my results were better than anyone else's with their 2.0l on the vw/audi forum

Ran a 18psi supercharged car with methanol injection on cheap fuel and have never had an issue with that or any car I've owned in over 35yrs (albeit supermarkets didn't have petrol stations back then) :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that V-Power is mainly about the additives, but bear in mind the increased octane of V-Power over even supermarket's super unleaded. V-Power is 99, and super unleaded is 97.

I didn't mean for this thread to become a discussion about the benefits of various brands of fuel, and octane - rather just an observation :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Most engines (inc the C-HR) won't benefit from the higher octane rating, only those with intelligent and/or programmable ECU's will.

Yep the 1.2 has a turbo charger, so you may well see an improvement to performance/pep, however as circa 90% of C-HR sales are hybrids 9 out of 10 drivers of our model won't see an improvement of any kind.

They will all see a benefit from the additive pack though, I just choose to add my own :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update - I filled up again last night, after covering 312 miles over three-ish weeks. I calculated my MPG and it's the highest it's ever been - 43.1 UK MPG.

The cost per mile is 0.1p higher than my long term average at 13.4p per mile, but considering the cheapest price per litre over this period is £1.129 I'd say the cost of V-Power is balanced with a much better MPG.

There are two points to note - the temperature range over the last three weeks, and a bit more motorway driving than usual.

I filled up again with V-Power :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MarkyMUK said:
Most engines (inc the C-HR) won't benefit from the higher octane rating, only those with intelligent and/or programmable ECU's will.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Increased octane means the ignition timing can be advanced which effectively increases the compression, which leads to additional power. If I understand the process correctly.

I fully expect that a modern car like the C-HR will be capable of advancing the ignition timing through the ECU and knock sensor.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You know MarkyMUK will talk-and-talk-and-talk till he is right? Be aware of that.. :lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
SpaceCoyote said:
MarkyMUK said:
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Increased octane means the ignition timing can be advanced which effectively increases the compression, which leads to additional power. If I understand the process correctly.

I fully expect that a modern car like the C-HR will be capable of advancing the ignition timing through the ECU and knock sensor.
I've advanced the timing/trims of a few cars manually to accept high octane fuel (usually 102 RON) but don't believe the hybrid C-HR will nor has the ability to differentiate...but stand to be corrected.

This was a good albeit short read:

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/unleaded-and-super-unleaded-fuel-explained

I thought that the main reason people buy hybrids is to:

a) reduce their carbon footprint
b) return decent economy in monetary terms

A is a bit of a misnomer if they then change their car every 3yrs, in my case my other car is 22yrs old and runs on lpg so am doing my bit!
B is nullified if you then put in fuel that costs up to 10% more

Thanks for the compliment Dut :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.